Let’s talk about serious stuff.
Ask yourself, how do you get up in the morning? Do you prefer to laze around a little while longer, put the alarm clock on another snooze and then another, do you dread going to work, seeing your colleagues, bosses, clients, may be even despise your work and the projects?
Or, are you up and running, totally motivated, and ready to rock the world, show that you are the best in everything you do?
Let’s talk about employee engagement. Engagement is what you, as employee do, at work. Are you going all out to make everything you touch a success or are you waiting for the next offer, or the retirement?
Employee engagement. If the employee is disengaged, it costs the company. Big time!
Gallup estimates it costs the US economy about $300bn a year and that 17 per cent of employees are “actively” disengaged. These employees each cost their employers $13,000 a year in lost productivity. You can quibble about whether these figures are a precise reflection of the situation, but even if they are discounted by 50 per cent the effects are devastating — and the situation is just not acceptable.
Engagement/disengagement is quite clearly not just a phenomenon in commercial organisations. On one of its websites, the UK civil service reports that:
– 12 per cent of UK public sector workers are highly engaged; 22 per cent are disengaged
– 84 per cent of highly engaged public sector workers in the UK believe they can have an impact on the quality of the organisation’s work — compared to about one-quarter of disengaged workers.
– Engaged employees in the UK take an average of 2.69 sick days per year; the disengaged take 6.19 sick days per year.
– Engaged employees generate 43 per cent more revenue than disengaged ones.
– Engaged employees are 87 per cent less likely to leave the organisation than the disengaged.
These are huge numbers.
You know, while a two day motivational training or teambuilding get-away is nice, and entertaining, does it really assist in getting things clear? And improve engagement?
I don’t believe and may be you share this thought with me, in disengaged employees. I believe that every employee was once very engaged, very happy and gave everything to the organisation.
The first day they arrived at their current work. The thoughts they had. “I have been chosen. Out of a pile of hundreds of resumes, after many, many interviews, I am the best. I was the top of the pile, the best candidate.”
And then, something goes wrong. A few months down the road, their engagement level has dropped. Is it the environment that dragged them down? The boss? The colleages? The immediate supervisor? May be their own incapability to cope with challenges? It is easy to blame others, sure. But I believe engagement starts with the recruitment process, career planning, creating an environment that is supportive of the employees, and conversations that empower, stretch and supportive.
All of this is dependent on the individual, company, department.
Ultimately it is the ongoing conversation between colleagues, bosses and employee that creates an environment and a relation that is engaging and empowering.
The conversations that you have need to be focussed, thoughtful and always consider the state they create inside the mind of the one you talk to. You always create something inside a person. It is here, where your power starts. The power of influence and how to get others on board toward a combined future.
If you are interested, you can consider a meeting with me on how we can create an empowering environment that turns disengaged employees into stellar performers.
Andreas is the founder of Asia Mind Dynamics and a certified trainer of internationally recognised certification programmes:
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) with the American Board of Neuro Linguistic Programming (ABNLP),
- NLP Coach Training with the Coaching Division of ABNLP,
- The Words That Change Minds -Language and Behaviour Profile of which he also is one of 17 Global Master Trainers
- Creating Your Future Coaching™ Techniques at the Masters Level with the International Timeline Therapy Association
- Hypnosis with the American Board of Hypnotherapy (ABH)
- Master Trainer with the International Association of Counsellors and Therapists (IACT).
We also train companies to achieve higher performance especially through our signature programmes on Leadership, Sales and Advanced Communications.
To find out more about us or our programme and what makes us so very different as trainer and coaches, send an email to andreas.dorn AT gmail.com or contact us at +6012 287 5048.