How fast do you respond to emails? Is it the norm in your life to respond immediately? Does your boss demand immediate responses, or your client?
Can you follow through emails? Do you delay responding?
A study shows that the speed in which you reply to an email reveals whether or not you are relaxed, or stressed.
And interesting, there appear to be people that withstand emergin cultural norms that one needs to respond immediately. They are the people who are relaxed. As the study says they don’t let emails put pressure on them. “They treat it exactly the way one would treat the mail: ‘I’ll fetch it, I’ll deal with it in my own time, but I’m not going to let it upset me.”
And true enough – how have we been trained to respond immediately? Bing – You Have Mail and off we go to stop anything else and respond. It puts pressure on us, because there are so many emails that demand our attention, plus the projects due, the colleagues demanding, the boss calling, the next meeting scheduled – and another email. In between responding, we try to finish something here, then something there. Always pressured.
Sounds familiar? As mentioned a long time back, this multitasking also costs money. Now, it seems it costs your health.
Dissociate yourself from these stress levels. Schedule time to respond to mails. And stick to it. Take a deep breather, in through the nose and out through the mouth, in order to relax. Visualise a great outcome. And then start your work
Have a great Friday!
Andreas is the founder of Asia Mind Dynamics and a certified trainer of internationally recognised certification programmes:
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) with the American Board of Neuro Linguistic Programming (ABNLP),
- NLP Coach Training with the Coaching Division of ABNLP,
- The Words That Change Minds -Language and Behaviour Profile of which he also is one of 17 Global Master Trainers
- Creating Your Future Coaching™ Techniques at the Masters Level with the International Timeline Therapy Association
- Hypnosis with the American Board of Hypnotherapy (ABH)
- Master Trainer with the International Association of Counsellors and Therapists (IACT).
We also train companies to achieve higher performance especially through our signature programmes on Leadership, Sales and Advanced Communications.
To find out more about us or our programme and what makes us so very different as trainer and coaches, send an email to andreas.dorn AT gmail.com or contact us at +6012 287 5048.