Many people believe that rapport is enough to gain access to the emotions of others. The saying goes, that rapport is the happening because people like people who are like them. Some equate rapport with trust.
I don’t see it that way. I believe that rapport is the entry door to trust. If there is no rapport, when won’t be able to build trust in the first place.
Many times, we stop at the rapport stage. I know many people that I like or with whom I have mutually beneficial interactions, thus, I guess we are in rapport. Does this mean I trust all of them? Nope. No way.
In addition, I might trust someone in one area of their life, but not in others. It has to be that way. I might trust my doctor, and that he is right in his prescription. But I am not sure if I would trust him to take care of my child, because I haven’t experienced him there.
I believe that trust is deeper, more intense. It is based on our life experience with different kind of people. For some of us, it is easy to develop trust, others need longer.
It is also to our values. If we see certain things as more important than people, it might actually take longer to build trust. We trust people who are in alignment with our values. Those, that meet our requirements for trust.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- How do you know you trust a person? - How long does it take you to trust a person?
- What is the difference between one person over the next?
- How do you keep trust going?
- What needs to happen to trust a person?
- What needs to happen to not trust a person?
- In which areas of your life do you trust a person faster than in others?
- What are you willing to do when you trust a person?
- What are you not willing to do even when you trust a person?
- How much lesser do you do, when you do not trust a person?
Andreas is the founder of Asia Mind Dynamics and a certified trainer of internationally recognised certification programmes:
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) with the American Board of Neuro Linguistic Programming (ABNLP),
- NLP Coach Training with the Coaching Division of ABNLP,
- The Words That Change Minds -Language and Behaviour Profile of which he also is one of 17 Global Master Trainers
- Creating Your Future Coaching™ Techniques at the Masters Level with the International Timeline Therapy Association
- Hypnosis with the American Board of Hypnotherapy (ABH)
- Master Trainer with the International Association of Counsellors and Therapists (IACT).
We also train companies to achieve higher performance especially through our signature programmes on Leadership, Sales and Advanced Communications.
To find out more about us or our programme and what makes us so very different as trainer and coaches, send an email to andreas.dorn AT gmail.com or contact us at +6012 287 5048.